Friday, July 7, 2017

My Happy List


Self care has been an important topic for me for quite some time. I think I really started thinking about it after I started my first job after college. Lately I've been thinking a lot about what makes me happy? What do I need everyday to make me feel good.

I decided to make a list of things that I need in order to stay sane, be happy, and to feel good. In fact I illustrated my list in my art journal.

So let me elaborate a bit on my list in no particular order.

1.  I know that I need to drink lots of water. If I don't drink enough then I feel terrible and I'll most likely get a headache. I always think it's funny when people say they don't like the taste of water. I love water. It's the best. I guess sometimes I want something with some flavor but when I'm super thirsty water hits the spot. I guess if you don't like the way water tastes you can always add some fruit tea too it or fruit juice ice cubes? Anyway, I'll worry about me and you worry about you. No judging any non water people. 

2. I know that I need to get outside. The sound of the birds and the breeze through the trees is so relaxing! I love to sit on the back porch with my hubby and watch the birds at the feeder and to water my plants and see what progress they've made growing. Taking a breath of fresh air is the best. Oh and it's best if I can go outside barefoot. Feeling the ground under my bare feet is just so therapeutic somehow. Nature is amazing and I love observing it. 

3. I need to be active! I feel so good after going on a walk or on occasion get a work out in. I'm good with getting the walks in but I feel like I should do workouts in the house when walking outside just isn't going to happen because of the weather. Do you guys after any fun youtube workout videos you like to watch and workout to? Blogilates is a really fun one if you're looking.

4. I need a really good hug from my hubby. I like the extra squeezy kind that feels like a massage. Hugs just make me so happy.

5. I need to journal or have a brain dump everyday. I feel so scattered and can't remember anything unless I write it down. I find that paper planning works better for me than digital planning with an app. Everyday it helps if I make a list of everything that I need to do. It also helps to just free write in my journal. Get everything out of my head without worrying about spelling or grammar. This is for me to get my thoughts straightened out. It also really helps if I sit down with my paper calendar at the beginning of every week and just review what's coming up. Otherwise I'll forget that we have a show coming up or a wedding or we're visiting family. Write everything down.

6. I also need to create something everyday. I might not be in the mood to draw or paint something everyday but I know that most days I really enjoy it and I just get lost in it. Time just disappears. I think that it's a better way to spend my time that being a couch potato. Creating something everyday whether I'm in the mood to or not helps me keep it a daily habit. If I don't do it, it feels weird!

So I invite you to make your own list of things that you need to do everyday to make you happy, keep you sane, and feel good. Illustrate it if you feel called to. I think it would be really fun to see your doodles! Do it on some really pretty stationary if you feel called to. I think that really spending time on this list and having fun with it is a form of self care because you're paying attention to your needs. 

Let me know what you think about self care. Is it overrated? Do you think it's important? Have you gave it any thought? I think it's a good thing to talk about.

💗

No comments:

Post a Comment